Top 5 Energy Saving Tips for your Business
Did you know that commercial buildings consume nearly one-fifth of all the energy used in the United States? And, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 30 percent of that energy is wasted? With energy efficiency being a key factor in a company’s bottom line, that’s bad news. The good news is that it’s relatively easy for facility managers to implement eco-friendly strategies that minimize their building’s environmental footprint and also increase the company’s profit margins.
That being said, here are 5 simple energy saving tips you can take to the bank:
- Use Modern Lighting Solutions. According to the most recent Commercial Buildings Energy Consumption Survey, 17 percent of all electricity consumed in U.S. commercial buildings is for lighting. Switching to energy-efficient LED light bulbs, which use about 25 percent of the electricity used by incandescent bulbs and maximizing the use of natural light are easy first steps to conserve lighting resources. Reminding employees to flip the switch when they leave a room and installing motion sensors will also keep the lights off when they’re not needed.
- Maintain Your HVAC System. Are your heating, cooling and ventilation systems in good working order? Regular maintenance will keep your equipment working smarter, not harder. If your system is fairly old, investing in a new, more energy-efficient HVAC system is a good idea. Installing programmable thermostats, insulating ductwork and applying weather stripping along doorways and windows are more ways to reduce energy waste during the winter.
- Power Down Electronics. Phantom energy is the electricity drawn from equipment, such as desktop computers, printers, copiers and cell phone chargers, as well as items, such as TVs, coffee makers and microwave ovens when they are not in use but still plugged in. Phantom loads can make up 10% of a company’s energy bill. Simple strategies, such as utilizing the power saving mode on electronics or unplugging them completely will save energy and money. Using power strips eliminates the need to unplug each individual device.
- Upgrade Your Appliances. Energy Star appliances use less energy and help reduce the impact we make on the environment. According to Energy Star, an older refrigerator uses nearly twice as much energy as a new Energy Star refrigerator. Outfitting your facility’s break rooms and kitchens with energy-efficient refrigerators, dishwashers, microwaves and vending machines are definitely an investment worth making.
- Conserve Water. Is your facility using water wisely? Making a commitment to water conservation is important when striving to become more energy-efficient. Installing low-flow toilets, water-efficient fixtures and Energy Star appliances, insulating hot water heaters and repairing leaks immediately are just a few ways to keep your dollars from literally going down the drain.
Is your facility doing its best to optimize and conserve energy? If you need help maximizing your savings, give us a call or CLICK HERE to contact us. 4M Building Solutions delivers the best, innovative, safe and sustainable cleaning and service solutions for your business.