Why Are Four Letters Such a Big Deal?
You remember alphabet soup. You would get a piping hot bowl of it and, as it cooled, try to make some sense out of the jumbled letters. Now, years later, sometimes vendor proposals can give you a feeling reminiscent of that jumble of alphabet soup. All those letters and acronyms look impressive, but what do they mean?
Let’s take a second to look at one of the most important acronyms in the janitorial services industry: CIMS. A company accredited by the Cleaning Industry Management Standard (CIMS) will give you a level of service well above what you would expect from a normal cleaning company. Through the International Sanitary Supply Association (ISSA), CIMS is one of the most rigorous and difficult levels of certification offered.
To illustrate how rare CIMS accreditation is, there are roughly 50,000 janitorial companies across the United States, yet just 231 of those companies have CIMS certification. That is not even one half of one percent. So why is it so rare? A CIMS-certified company must meet 100% of the mandatory requirements and 60% of the recommended elements presented by ISSA. And we aren’t talking about just one person, but rather the entire organization.
The requirements consist of:
- Quality systems to ensure consistent operations and continuous improvement
- Staffing plans and systems that ensure the highest quality of service delivery
- A human resource department that gives each team member and manager the tools that they need to succeed.
- Systems to ensure regulatory compliance, workplace safety, and health and environmental compliance to meet each customer’s requirements
- Management’s commitment to the mission, vision and values that the organization establishes and a plan to safeguard the organization’s continuity
- A dedication to utilize environmentally friendly processes, including materials, waste management, and recycling, that contribute to LEED certification (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, to learn more about it, click here).
If a contractor attains a CIMS certification and also maintains it (assessments are scheduled every two years), then you can have peace of mind knowing that they are exceedingly reliable, trustworthy partner. They have processes in place to make sure they work efficiently, and you know that the team members in your building are trustworthy and hard-working people who have been thoroughly screened and trained to give you the highest service possible.
Additionally, with the efficiency and flexibility that CIMS-certified companies provide, you can also expect to save time and money. Just like a stitch in time saves nine, a CIMS-certified contractor will do things right the first time, allowing you to focus on your own business.
Furthermore, you will have hired a knowledgeable partner in the LEED process. As you achieve LEED certification, your CIMS-certified partner can assist and guide you through the process.
That is why 4M Building Solutions is so proud to have achieved CIMS and CIMS-Green Building accreditations, both with honors, from ISSA. To earn the distinction with honors, the entire organization must fulfill 100% of the optional list requirements. It is proof that 4M does not just do the minimum, but rather we do everything in our power to be the best. To ensure that we provide world-class janitorial services, we are committed to exceeding the industry’s highest standards to provide you with the peace of mind that you should come to expect from 4M. Get in touch and find out how we can tailor our widely acclaimed janitorial services to fit your needs.