Why Workplace Wellness Is Important
Everyone gets sick from time to time, but some people tend to fly in the face of those nasty germs much better than others. Studies show that chronic illnesses, such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, arthritis, obesity and respiratory conditions are top public health challenges today. These same studies also show that nationwide, more than 2.5 billion workdays are reduced or lost completely due to sickness or injury, and employers lose more than $300 billion of productivity annually due to illness, sick days, absenteeism or substandard performance.
Employees who are healthy and fit, both physically and mentally, are also happier employees. They tend to have better relationships with management and coworkers and strike a better work-life balance. Vishal Jain, VP of Strategy and Financial Wellness for Prudential Group Insurance says, “Wellness, peace of mind: those are things that can contribute to employees’ happiness.”
Obviously maintaining a healthy and happy workforce is key to efficiency and productivity. So what are some of the ways you can help your staff stay on top of their game?
- Offer health-related incentives or reward programs, such as gift cards to local gyms or bonuses for those who lose weight or stop smoking.
- Provide healthy snack or meal options, including fruit and vegetables.
- Host team events that include physical activity, such as group walks or runs.
- Encourage regular doctor visits and make sure employees stay home if they’re sick.
- Offer weekly meditation classes or reflection time.
At 4M, we encourage healthy habits for all of our employees and celebrate those who reach healthy milestones. It’s just one more way we continue to deliver the best, innovative, safe and sustainable cleaning solutions for business. CLICK HERE to learn more.